May 2, 2008

In Love with In Colour!

Well, I come back from the long weekend then promptly disappear again! My internet has been iffy at best this week, yesterday I couldn't get online at all! I finally had time to sit down and upload this for you, even though I should be finishing my preparation for the huge workshop we'll be having tomorrow!

It's wet and cold here today, perfect stamping weather, and this is what I came up with using some of our gorgeous new colours! Here's the step by step:
  • Stamp the branch and berries image from Touch of Nature with Basic Brown ink onto Very Vanilla card. Using the stamp-a-ma-jig, stamp the bird image with the branches overlapping.
  • Stamp the bird again onto scrap paper or a post-it note. Cut around just the bird to create a mask, and adhere with temporary adhesive - I used the 2 Way Glue Pen.
  • Ink the leafy branch image with River Rock ink and stamp onto scrap paper once, then onto your image, over top of the bird. Repeat, then stamp the image full force at the top, bottom and side of the bird. You'll go over the branches and berries a bit, but once we colour it won't matter.
  • Remove the mask from your bird image. Colour the image using ink pads and a blender pen using this technique: http://thinkingstamps.blogspot.com/2008/03/watercolouring-with-su-inkpads.html
  • I'm not sure if this kind of bird could come in blue, but that's the beauty of stamping, you create what you want to see! I used Soft Sky and Close to Cocoa to colour the bird, River Rock for the leaves and a touch of Purely Pomegranate and Close to Cocoa on the berries.
  • My bird turned out a little dark, so I created highlights by dotting and dashing with the white gel pen. It gives a really great effect!
  • Sponge the edges of your image using River Rock and Soft Sky, concentrating your sponging in the corners.
  • Layer your image with River Rock then Chocolate Chip card. Create a scalloped edge using the corner rounder and adhere at the back of your piece.
  • Using the Crop-a-dile punch holes for the Jumbo Eyelets. This took is amazing!!! So many times I'd be stuck not being able to punch holes after layering a piece - not anymore! The Crop-a-dile punches through all these layers and more with ease.
  • Set the jumbo eyelets with the Crop-a-dile, I used Antique Brass eyelets, then tie a piece of Soft Sky Double Stitched ribbon through the holes.
  • Layer the entire piece onto a piece of River Rock, using Stampin' Dimensionals to accommodate the back of the eyelets and ribbon. Distress the edges of the layer, I used the back of my scissors - but have just ordered the Cutter Kit with the Distressing Tool - this will be much safer, can't wait to try it out!
  • Layer a strip of paper from the Le Jardin pack onto Chocolate Chip card.
  • Stamp your Soft Sky card base with the large swirl from Baroque Motifs. I used Soft Sky ink, Versamark would give a lovely effect too.
  • Assemble your card using SNAIL adhesive and you're done!
I know just who this card is going too - but I'm keeping it quiet, they might be reading this right now!

Have a safe and warm weekend,
Sarah

Stampin' Supplies:
Touch of Nature and Baroque Motifs stamp sets.
Soft Sky, Chocolate Chip, River Rock and Very Vanilla card stock. Le Jardin Designer Paper.
Soft Sky, Close to Cocoa, Basic Brown, River Rock and Purely Pomegranate ink.
Stampin' Sponges.
Jumbo Eyelets.
Crop-a-dile.
Soft Sky Double Stitched ribbon.
Blender Pen.
Corner Rounder punch.
Stampin' Dimensionals.
SNAIL Adhesive.
All supplies available from Stampin' Up!

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning! I'm saving this for future reference, thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh Sarah......This card is so lovely. Havn't got this set...but it might just get added to my next order..LOL
    Carole X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazingly beautiful card! I just love your blog! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigosh!!! This is absolutely beautiful. I love the baroque motif in the background.......and the bird is just so sweet. Great attention to detail added to your main image. The perfect card to me :) This set has so many wonderful images and the bird is my fav.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!