July 10, 2012

Christmas in July!


The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to kick-start our holiday projects with Christmas in July.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers.


I won't lie - every year I have great intentions to handmake all my Christmas cards - and invariably I run out of time. I can't seem to get them made throughout the year, and the Christmas season is just too busy. I am pretty good at making some pretty tags for gift giving though - I love to keep the wrapping on my gifts plain and fancy it up with an elaborate tag.

Today I've made a set of four vintage inspired tags using some of my fave die-namics and Christmas stamps. I've used Inspired by Christmas, Clearly Sentimental about Christmas, and the bird stamp is from Inspired by Caged Bird.


To create the tag base I've cut the largest Traditional Tags Die-namics. I stamped the images in Distress Ink, and oversprayed with a little Gold Glimmermist. This makes the images run a little - I like that look, if you don't, spray with Glimmermist before stamping.


I used similar elements and supplies on all my tags, varying the layout and how I've layered the elements to make them all different but still a cohesive set.


For the main embellishment on each tag, I've layered a Fancy Flourish with Let it Snowflake and a vintage button from Buttons Galore. The snowflake is cut from Fossil cardstock, as is the tag base.


Each tag was sponged and pierced roughly around the edge. The sentiments are stamped on a First Place Award Ribbon Die-namic.


I varied the ribbon treatment on each tag, using it as a layer, bow or an element at the top of the tag.


Don't forget to stop by Kim's blog for more Christ-massy goodness!

Here are the Die-namics I've used today:




 Thanks for stopping by!  
Stamps: Inspired by Christmas, Clearly Sentimental about Christmas, I know why the caged bird sings (MFT Stamps) Paper: St Nick (Echo Park) Ink: Assorted Distress Inks (Ranger) Riding Hood Red, Always Artichoke (SU) Dies: Fancy Flourish, Traditional Tags, First Place Award Ribbon, Let It Snowflake, Simply Scallops Medium, Double Scallop Border Die-namics (MFT Stamps) Other: Buttons (Buttons Galore) Twine, Ribbon, Twill

15 comments:

  1. These are all beautiful, still can't bring myself to think about christmas yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love the vintage look of these awesome Christmas tags Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - Great assortment of tags! Nice images, colors, die cuts. I like the way they lean toward the grungy-vintage side; my fav style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are awesome, love the look

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tags today. I like how you connected them with buttons and flourishes. Great vintage feel to them. ksh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous set of tags!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These tags are beautiful and would make anyone happy to receive them on christmas morn. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fancy flourish adds such a delicate detail! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are GORGEOUS Sarah! Each and every one has PERFECT details!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your tags Sarah! They are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. soooo vintage and so beautiful! love how you tied up the ribbon and all the fun accents you added!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loving all your tags Sarah, esp love how you added the flourish to each of them

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so pretty, Sarah! I love the patterns, flourishes and buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!!!! What a fabulous idea to make fancy tags as part of the packaging and not put so much pressure on making everything else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are absolutely beautiful!!! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!